Keeping Your Presents Safe this Holiday Season
Let the Them Know You’re Watching
Last year San Diego experienced a ton of package thieves, all you have to do is Google “Package Thieves, and Holidays”, and you can see just how many different media outlets had covered the story. With multiple package thieves running ramped last holiday season, some who were caught and others who were not, the one true constant in the stories of the ones who were caught, is the thief getting caught on a security camera. Secure your home now! Starting early ensures you have time to get your system installed before Black Friday and Cyber Monday roll around.
Homeowners must stay vigilant during the holiday season. From serial burglars, to one-time package thief offenders, installing a home security system is the best decision you can make and here’s why:
- FACT: it is estimated that a home burglary occurs every 15 seconds in the U.S. That means by the time you are done reading this article, approximately 40 homes will have been burglarized.
- FACT: a home security system is one of the best ways to deter burglars and package thieves from targeting your home.
- FACT: the best defense is a good offense. Put burglars on the defense by recording their every move.
- FACT: like a deer in headlights, motion activated flood lights will truly make a thief think twice before they try to breach your perimeter.
- FACT: when it looks like you are watching, your home is less likely to become a target.
The advantage of having a home security system that is monitored includes reducing the likelihood your home will be broken into. A home that has a security system is not an easy target. Other advantages of a home security system include remote access to arm and disarm your system, the ability to monitor people coming to your home and when they leave, and a reduction in your home insurance premium. Homes that are protected can save up to 20% when purchasing homeowner’s insurance.
The Importance of a Home Security System
Peace of mind comes from knowing your family and your home are safe and secure. When you look at your family, and your home, you know you want them to be safe, always out of harm’s way. When you leave for work, you expect to come back to a smiling family, and to a home that is secure. But as they say, hope is simply not a strategy. The growing crime rates across many cities reflect this bitter reality. Many people overlook, ignore, and underestimate the need of taking appropriate home security measures.
Is it really worth the risk?
Home Security System 101
Understanding how a home security system works is essential to knowing how to choose the right home security installation that is best suited to your needs as well as your budget. A home security system works on a simple concept of securing entry points into a home with sensors that communicate with the control panel.
A basic example of how a home security system works:
- Intruder breaks a window
- The sensor signals the control panel and over a home phone line or cell phone
- Your off-site monitoring station is notified and simultaneously
- A high-decibel alarm is triggered
- The monitoring service calls the house within seconds asking for a password if there is a response
- If there is no response, or if the wrong password is given, the monitoring service will notify the police immediately.
When home security is necessary, it is a good idea to consult with a qualified installation contractor like Shultz Audio Video.